海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [分享]What are some things you realize when you become older?
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 生活风情           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [分享]What are some things you realize when you become older?   
ferncrest
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归少将

头衔: 海归少将
声望: 教授
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2005/09/14
文章: 6484
来自: 地球
海归分: 293622

文章标题: [分享]What are some things you realize when you become older? (2210 reads)      时间: 2016-7-24 周日, 10:15   

作者:ferncrest生活风情 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

I'm 18, just reaching legal "adulthood" in the United States. What I've found is that, as I've gotten older and had more experiences, I've begun to realize more about life. This has made me curious as to what people older than myself have learned about the world. Mind sharing an answer and increasing this youngster's wisdom? And is there a way to accelerate my learning through experiences like this guy talks about...?

In my 20s, I started wondering why the years seemed to be passing faster than when I was a kid. I wondered if there was a deeper reason for that perception, something else than the simple explanation that “one year is an ever smaller portion of your total years alive.” This quest led me to an awakening that has fundamentally shaped my life ever since.

For a child, every experience is a new one. The world is full of mystery and adventure. Your imagination is the only limit to the possibilities. Every day, you encounter exciting new things. Every play teaches you something new. Every discussion educates you new words. Every fairy tale expands your imagination.

The smallest treats, like a scoop of ice cream, watching airplanes take off, or jumping into a tiny pond after a rain will make you happy and excited. Your happy dances melt the hearts of all adults around you.

As we get older, we get used to almost anything. We start developing habits, rituals and traditions that keep repeating day after day, month after month, and year after year. It takes a lot to make us excited.

Monday to Friday, we go to work.
3 days a week, we go running. Or swimming. Or to the gym.
On a weekend, we watch a football game. Or some other sports. Or go to our local bar. Or visit the church.
Every holiday, we go to see our relatives.
Every summer, we go to our vacation home.
There is nothing inherently bad about these habits and rituals, they bond us with people who matter to us, they create an air of safety and make our lives predictable and comfortable. But, here’s the kicker:

When you repeat a routine, you don’t add new memories. At best, you will enrich an existing memory. You can’t separate the memories of your workdays from each other. You won’t create new memories of your vacation home visits anymore. You won’t be able to tell, which year your aunt brought a special cake for your family’s thanksgiving dinner - you just remember that it happened one Thanksgiving.

That is why you think your year is shorter - it is shorter because you did not gain many new memories! For our children, all the memories are new. This is why a year feels so much longer to them.

If you lived your day like a child, your year would feel much longer. I know, because I learned to live that way. I have gained many, many new memories by living in multiple countries, by studying new subjects, by avoiding developing routines, by not planning my vacations in advance. I developed a child-like excitement about my passions and startup ideas. Let me tell you, it has been liberating. I’m deeply grateful that I figured that out early.

You may have heard the aphorism that you should live every day as if it was your last. I disagree. Our kids educate us that our happiness and excitement is in learning and experiencing something new. It is in living each day as if it was your first.

Instead of living today like it would be the last day of your life, live today like it is the first day of your new life. Free from the baggage of the past. Fully open for new adventures and learning. Full of hope and opportunity.

Photo: My daughter, giddy with excitement, and ready to build a sand castle.
Update: Thank you for all the love.

作者:ferncrest生活风情 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
[分享]诚聘兼职,高薪自由零成本 海归招聘 2024-3-28 周四, 04:18
[分享]KM盘口搭建__低成本公开费用 共同合作 助您开盘做老板 海归茶馆 2024-3-15 周五, 20:35
[分享]KM盘口搭建__低成本公开费用 共同合作 助您开盘做老板 海归主坛 2024-3-15 周五, 20:33
[分享]万锦装修指南:4个关键点让你的家焕然一新 海外房地产 2024-3-10 周日, 20:37
[分享]海外——香港——大陆,包税进口清关运输专线!!! 海归商务 2024-3-08 周五, 14:32
[分享]海外货物中转香港包税进口清关运输回大陆! 海归商务 2024-3-08 周五, 14:23
[分享]史丹顿岛装修:3个你不能忽视的小贴士 海外房地产 2024-3-04 周一, 19:30
[分享]曼哈顿装修指南:4个必知小贴士 海外房地产 2024-3-01 周五, 19:38

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 ferncrest离线  发送站内短信
  • [分享]What are some things you realize when you become older? -- ferncrest - (3792 Byte) 2016-7-24 周日, 10:15 (2210 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 生活风情           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件可以下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.