海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 办公室里抓到个老鼠,该杀不该杀?从而引起了一场风波,嘻嘻。吃饱饭没事干。
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 办公室里抓到个老鼠,该杀不该杀?从而引起了一场风波,嘻嘻。吃饱饭没事干。   
ceo/cfo
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 院士
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/11/05
文章: 12941

海归分: 491633

文章标题: 办公室里抓到个老鼠,该杀不该杀?从而引起了一场风波,嘻嘻。吃饱饭没事干。 (1897 reads)      时间: 2010-3-27 周六, 05:49   

作者:ceo/cfo海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Dear Lucy: Should I have killed the mouse in the office?
By Lucy Kellaway

Published: March 24 2010 02:00 | Last updated: March 24 2010 02:00

Yesterday I caught a mouse that was wandering sluggishly in the vicinity of my desk. I managed to get it into a plastic bag, whereupon there was a great dispute among colleagues over what to do with it. The consensus was to release it into the street outside. But mice are vermin and it was obviously right to kill it, so I stamped on the bag to give a merciful death. Now it seems I have made enemies of everyone. They variously think I am cruel and anti-democratic. Am I missing something or was I in the wrong?

Journalist, male, 39

Lucy's answer

There are two questions here. Was it right to kill the mouse? And should one take any notice of what one's colleagues think?

The first answer is yes. Obviously. Mice are disgusting. And if this one was staggering it was probably disease-ridden. To kill it quickly rather than let it suffocate slowly in the bag was doing it a kindness. The stamping was perhaps a bit brutal - especially if you jumped up and down on it in full view of everyone - but the principle was right.

The second question is a bit more difficult, given that people appear to feel even more strongly about animals than about religion or the royal family. How often do your colleagues start discussing the ill-treatment of a human? Not often, I'm assuming.

Yet the fate of a small creature with a tail that eats your biscuits and leaves droppings on your desk touches their hearts and muddles their minds.

But even so, the mouse belonged to you, because you caught it. It doesn't sound as if you solicited your colleagues' views; they simply weighed in. Therefore, it was up to you to do as you saw fit. Without fear or favour, you did what you believed to be right. You stamped on a mouse. This suggests you have just the right moral fibre to be a great journalist.

I think you've also just demonstrated leadership potential - in that you are clearly logical, ruthless and insensitive. Your mistake was to be so blatant. In modern corporations the firm smack of leadership is needed just as much as it always was, but we have lost our appetite for the sound of the smack.

You should have taken the bag away, let your colleagues think you were releasing it outside, gone into the men's toilets and stamped on it, while flushing the loo to cover any unpleasant sound effects of mouse underfoot.

It is conceivable that through your bravery you may even have picked an argument with the law. On the UK version of the reality television show "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" last year, contestants killed and ate a rat - and the broadcaster was found guilty and fined for cruelty to animals.

So far no lawyers have come to me asking awkward questions. I shall, of course, protect my sources if they do.

Your advice

Stop showing off

Let me guess: you killed the mouse to show off, thinking that would impress the females. Unfortunately, they thought: "what a brute". The other males, who were secretly watching the females, sided with them, pretending they would never do such a terrible thing. The lesson: don't show off. A little humanity goes a long way.

Biologist, female

They need help

Can you organise counselling for your poor, sensitive colleagues? What on earth happens when someone swats a fly? I would imagine it's smelling salts all round and group hugs to get over the trauma. Passing the mouse (in a plastic bag) to the department responsible for maintenance is clearly best, especially since in the time it would take them to deal with it the mouse would have asphyxiated anyway. And (in management) it's best not to take a vote on things if you care about the outcome of the vote.

Manager, female, 34

Come to our house

You have the most amazing reflexes. Please come round to our house and kill our mice. Many of our friends would love your services, too. This could be the start of a new career - with fewer moral qualms than journalism.

Fund manager, 55

Organise a wake

Organise a wake complete with wreaths and a framed picture of a mouse with a black ribbon across the top. Either they will think it's silly and stop complaining or they will love you for it.

VP, female

Mice are hazardous

You aren't missing anything; your detractors are - mice carry fleas, which can spread diseases. They contaminate our cupboards with urine and excrement, and they gnaw wiring, which can cause a fire hazard.

Director of non-profit, Female

Corporate pimping

When I was in sixth grade, a mouse appeared in our classroom. Everyone, including the teacher, jumped up on their chairs in a panic, except for one boy who captured it with his bare hands, expertly holding it with thumb atop its neck so it couldn't bite him. He then jubilantly announced that the mouse would be his pet snake's next meal. As I recall, there was no objection from his amazed and relieved classmates.

Anon, male

Can I unseat my useless boss?

I have a new boss who is totally clueless about the business though is very media savvy and has a high profile. For the time being she needs me as her deputy as I keep the show on the road, but as soon as she has found her feet I have no doubt that she will fire me.

The company owners have fallen for her charm and image, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to unseat her and bring on an early departure before she ruins the company.

Deputy, female, 46

作者:ceo/cfo海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
zt ‘窝里横的人都是门外老鼠’,这话一点儿不假。海外华人最大的弱点就是不... 海归茶馆 2004-11-23 周二, 12:21
看98介么干,说点发自内心的话,从开始吃米饭到变回良家说起! 海归酒吧 2009-4-07 周二, 16:27
听人劝, 吃饱饭。 最后一贴~~~~ 海归论坛 2004-3-06 周六, 00:52
zt原来香港人是这样看大陆移民的: 识一个香港移民。他刚来和三个大陆移民在... 海归主坛 2010-5-15 周六, 13:36
求助:这里有一个法文网站,其中有许多亚洲(我相信是中国)女人的老照片,不知... 海归茶馆 2004-9-05 周日, 08:53
[转帖]惊世骇俗:罕见文革题材春宫图[图集]。请勿在办公室打开,小儿不宜 生活风情 2014-7-20 周日, 18:00
老狼也是人:要吃饭,得挣钱;他旅途中内急,紧急情况下冲进一家野店子,抓起一... 海归酒吧 2013-5-29 周三, 21:43
风度我已经不缺了,写几段缘分被说上辈子给若干人做劳模修的,跟男生吃饭被说老... 生活风情 2012-8-29 周三, 06:57

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 ceo/cfo离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.