海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [转帖]Why I Don't Trust Gold 有人不赞成投资黄金 by Brett Arends
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [转帖]Why I Don't Trust Gold 有人不赞成投资黄金 by Brett Arends   
hockey

头衔: 海归少校

头衔: 海归少校
声望: 学员
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/10/29
文章: 384

海归分: 26632

文章标题: [转帖]Why I Don't Trust Gold 有人不赞成投资黄金 by Brett Arends (1477 reads)      时间: 2010-5-28 周五, 05:56   

作者:hockey海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Thursday, May 27, 2010

provided by
wsjlogo.gif

This is a very sad day for me.

In Part One of this series, when I argued that gold might be about to go vertical, I made a whole bunch of new friends among the gold bugs.

And now I'm going to lose them all.

That's because even though I think gold might be about to take off, I don't recommend you rush out and put all your money into gold bars or exchange-traded funds that hold bullion.

More from WSJ.com:

• Is Gold the Next Bubble?

• Ignore the Panic, Focus on Value

• More Than Ever, Keep the Focus on the Long Term

And this is for one simple reason: At some levels, gold, as an investment, is absolutely ridiculous.

Warren Buffett put it well. "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace," he said. "Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."

And that's not the half of it.

Gold is volatile. It's hard to value. It generates no income.

Yes, it's a "hard asset," but so are lots of other things—like land, bags of rice, even bottled water.

More from Yahoo! Finance:

• Gold Prices Surge Past $1,200

• Economic Rebound Slowed Last Quarter

• Stocks Jump After China Shows Confidence in Europe
Visit the Banking and Budgeting Center

It's a currency "substitute," but it's useless. In prison, at least, they use cigarettes: If all else fails, they can smoke them. Imagine a bunch of health nuts in a nonsmoking "facility" still trying to settle their debts with cigarettes. That's gold. It doesn't make sense.

As for being a "store of value," anyone who bought gold in the late 1970s and held on lost nearly all their purchasing power over the next 20 years.

I get worried when I see people plunging heavily into gold at $1,200 an ounce. What if the price goes back to where it was just a few years ago, at $500 or $600 an ounce? Will you buy more? Sell?

My concerns about gold go even further than that.

Let's step inside the gold market for a moment.

Everyone knows the price has risen about fivefold in the past decade. But this is not due to some mystical truth or magical act of levitation. It is simply because there have been more buyers than sellers.

Banal, but true—and sometimes worth repeating.

If the price rises you'd think there must be a shortage. But data provided by the World Gold Council, an industry body, tell a remarkable story.

Over that period the world has produced—or, more accurately, recovered—far more gold than anyone actually wanted to use. Since 2002, for example, total demand for gold from goldsmiths and jewelers, and dentists, and general industry, has come to about 22,500 tonnes.

But during the same period, more than 29,000 tonnes has come on to the market.

The surplus alone is enough to produce about 220 million one-ounce gold American Buffalo coins. That's in eight years.

Most of the new supply has come from mine production. Some, though a dwindling amount, has come from central banks. And a growing amount has come from recycling—old jewelry and the like being melted down for scrap. (This is a perennial issue with gold. I never understand why the fans think gold's incredible durability—it doesn't waste or corrode—is bullish for the market. It's bearish.) So if supply has consistently exceeded user demand, how come the price of gold has still been rising?

In a word, hoarding.

Gold investors, or hoarders, have made up all the difference. They are the only reason total "demand" has exceeded supply.

Lots of people have been buying gold in the hope it would rise. But the only way it can rise is if still more people buy it, hoping it will rise still further. And so on.

What do we call an investment scheme where current members' returns depend entirely on new money brought in by new members?

A Ponzi scheme.

Yes, as I wrote earlier, gold may well be the next big bubble. And that may mean there is big money to be made in speculation.

But I don't trust it as an investment.

How can you square this golden circle? I'll tell you in Part Three.

This is the second part of a three-part series on gold, "The Gold, the Bad and the Ugly." Next up: The way to play gold.

作者:hockey海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
[转帖]新手从哪儿, 开始学习房产投资? 留学与移民 2018-7-10 周二, 10:25
基金系列:2011年中国文化产业专项投资基金研究(转帖) 海归商务 2011-4-29 周五, 13:45
[转帖] 做芯片其实很容易,100万投资,当年销售2000万 海归商务 2011-1-18 周二, 09:40
[转帖] 找到与自己匹配的最合适投资人 海归商务 2010-12-14 周二, 23:11
基金系列:武汉私募股权投资基金发展现状一瞥(转帖) 海归商务 2010-11-21 周日, 20:07
[转帖]关于出席第二届“中国对外投资合作洽谈会”的邀请函 海归商务 2010-10-20 周三, 17:24
[转帖]新36条细则出台在即 民间投资接力4万亿 海归商务 2010-10-05 周二, 23:01
[转帖]北京发布外资股权投资基金新规 京沪"PE争夺战"升级 海归主坛 2010-1-05 周二, 09:45

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 hockey离线  发送站内短信
  • [转帖]Why I Don't Trust Gold 有人不赞成投资黄金 by Brett Arends -- hockey - (4442 Byte) 2010-5-28 周五, 05:56 (1477 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.