海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 洋海龟闯荡神州系列:看牙医
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 洋海龟闯荡神州系列:看牙医   
wanderer
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归准将

头衔: 海归准将
声望: 学员

加入时间: 2004/02/20
文章: 1232

海归分: 168152

文章标题: 洋海龟闯荡神州系列:看牙医 (1956 reads)      时间: 2004-4-04 周日, 13:36   

作者:wanderer海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

“外国专家” Dan Washburn (其背景见https://www.haiguinet.com/ShowTopic.asp?ID=407348) 最近去牙医那儿洗牙。没有买保险的他认为其40美元的费用很便宜、、、在下面这篇文章里,他除了描写他看牙医的经历外,还列举了些令人有点汗颜的有关牙齿健康的统计数据、、、

Going to the dentist in China is like going to a foreign policy pow-wow at the white house: you just have a feeling that something is going to go wrong. think the streets of shanghai are dirty and overcrowded? just take a look at some of its smiles. sure, china has experienced its share of economic growth recently. but it ain't nothin' compared to its oral decay.

• Almost half a billion people in china never brush their teeth, according to the chinese preventive medicine society. less than half of the country's rural population brush regularly, while just 10 percent of those living in cities clean properly. many people are still using twigs or green tea to "brush."

• Not surprisingly, 5-year-olds in china have an average of 4.48 bad teeth and people aged 65 to 74 have 9.86 missing teeth on average. so says the office of the national tooth disease prevention and treatment steering group (or, if you like acronyms, the OOTNTDPATSG … geez!).

• According to the national dental prevention and treatment advisory group, there are only 25,000 dentists in china. that's just one dentist for every 50,000 people. the international standard for developed countries is one dentist for every 2,000 people.

I have seen dentists in action in rural china. this is because their office fronts are typically windows, their examination rooms in full view of curious people passing by on busy streets. I suppose if you are one of 25,000 dentists in a nation of 1.3 billion inhabitants, you want to show off your unique skills. but I always turned my head — it's not the kind of window shopping I like to do.

Speaking of shopping, have you ever tried to find dental floss in china? f*cking-A! but then again, I am an american and, as an english friend said recently, "you americans are obsessed with teeth." now, is that a bad thing? regardless, it kind of explains why I was a bit skeptical heading into my first dental appointment in china.

I was also a bit soaked for my appointment, thanks to a sudden rainstorm, and 40 minutes late, thanks to the way I am. I was met by smiles, however, at the front desk of this hong kong-owned dental clinic which "targets middle-class patients," according to a story I just read. As I filled out the office’s admittance form, a drop of rainwater fell from my soaked head of hair onto the paper. it kind of made my first name look like tie-dye. I had little time to enjoy it, however. one of the smiling women behind the counter quickly blotted the drop with a tissue. then another approached me with a soft towel — and a smile, of course. after that, everything about my visit to the dentist was the opposite of what I expected. it was perfect. it was too perfect, at times. sci-fi perfect.

"Please sit," one of the smiling ladies said.

I did and I took in my surroundings. the lobby was excruciatingly clean and sparsely decorated. everything was blindingly white. the place had an affected modernity, kind of a 1968 image of what 2001 might look like. yes, it was all rather kubrickian. I half expected to hear HAL9000 say, "what are you doing, dan?"

But it wasn’t HAL who called to me. instead, a young woman in a pink 60s-style knee-length skirt and surgical mask approached me. she leaned forward and said, "i am your nurse. please follow me."

We exited the lobby into a hallway lined with more nurses in pink skirts. I could see their reflections in the spotless white tile floor. there was classical music playing over the sound system. thankfully, I never heard richard strauss' "thus spake zarathustra." that would have been too weird.

But the hollywood imagery continued when I entered the examination room. my dentist's name was lucy liu. she was not a charlie's angel, but a pleasant woman with braces on her teeth — only the second pair I have seen during my one year in china. she saw that I was wet and asked, "would you like me to raise the temperature of the room a bit?" the dental assistant was equally attentive. every time a droplet of moisture appeared on my face during the cleaning, she immediately dabbed my face with a kleenex.

Everything else was proper, precise … and actually rather normal. no faces pressed against the window. no mysterious black rectangular monuments. no apes throwing bones into the sky.

It was all rather cheap, as well. the whole visit was less than US$40.

作者:wanderer海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:呼叫中心的菲律宾MM (ZT) 海归论坛 2004-9-25 周六, 13:52
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:为什么不愿回美国? 海归论坛 2004-4-25 周日, 14:28
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:年轻人志在东方 海归论坛 2004-3-14 周日, 08:22
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:杰西的上海“好莱坞”经历 海归论坛 2004-3-10 周三, 06:15
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:在华为的老印之中国印象 -- 过节般的食物 战士般的工... 海归论坛 2004-3-07 周日, 13:49
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:爱琳在上海的新起点 (ZT) 海归论坛 2004-3-04 周四, 16:55
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:杰西的秘密任务 (1) 海归论坛 2004-3-03 周三, 05:43
洋海龟闯荡神州系列:序 海归论坛 2004-3-03 周三, 05:08

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 wanderer离线  发送站内短信
  • 洋海龟闯荡神州系列:看牙医 -- wanderer - (4588 Byte) 2004-4-04 周日, 13:36 (1956 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.