海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 中国体育行业:Harris will face many challenges as coach of the Chinese National Team (转贴)
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 中国体育行业:Harris will face many challenges as coach of the Chinese National Team (转贴)   
安普若
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归元勋

头衔: 海归元勋
声望: 大师
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/02/21
文章: 26038
来自: 中国美国的飞机上
海归分: 4196257

文章标题: 中国体育行业:Harris will face many challenges as coach of the Chinese National Team (转贴) (1799 reads)      时间: 2004-4-06 周二, 02:06   

作者:安普若海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Harris will face many challenges as coach of the Chinese National Team

Q&A with Mavs assistant Del Harris

By Rob Peterson

Mavericks assistant coach Del Harris is no stranger to international basketball. Harris has coached in Puerto Rico (1969-75), was an advisor to the Canadian National Team for the 1994 World Championships and served as an assistant to Team USA in the 1998 World Championships.

On Feb. 19, Harris was named coach of the Chinese National Team, the team's first ever foreign head coach, for the 2004 Olympics in Athens. We caught up with coach Harris and asked him what challenges face him on and off the court.

Did you actively seek out the position of head coach of the Chinese National Team?

Harris: "No. I don't think anybody would. I don't think anyone knew such a position was open." (Laughs)

So, how did they contact you?

Harris: "Through the Mavericks, through Donnie [Nelson, head coach Don Nelson's son]. The Mavericks have had a relationship with the Chinese for four or five years. Donnie and Ross Perot Jr. went over there and spent a good bit of time when they were in the process of getting the rights to get Wang Zhizhi out of China and into the NBA.

"I ended up being the guy they were looking for -- someone with NBA experience and somebody with international experience."

As you noted, you have international experience. How do you think this experience will be different?

Harris: "The majority of speaking [in my previous experiences] was all English. All the Puerto Ricans spoke English, if not as a first language, then as a second. And of course, the Canadians and the Americans. This will be the first time I'll need to rely a fair amount on translating and having an interpreter.

"What I'm trying to do is learn enough basketball terms in Chinese that by the time the Olympics come around, I can do a good job and minimize the problem. It's not easy I'm telling you.

"There are some basketball terms, for instance pick-and-roll is pick-and-roll in any language. And jump shot is the same in any language. There's a few terms that have carried over because they originated in English."

"I feel sure I'll be able to do it."

Who's helping your learn those phrases?

Harris: "I have some books and tapes, which is how I learned to speak Spanish largely. I have a friend in China, who was the first interpreter for Wang Zhizhi. and his name is Xia Song.

"I made up a list of 300 basketball terms and I asked Xia to put the Chinese equivalent to those basketball terms. I'm just beginning to start in on that. He has them written down in what is called 'Pinyin' Chinese. It's the accommodation China has made to the English speaking countries, where they have taken the Chinese sounds and put them into Roman letters.

"Pinyin is all the same words, but it's in a Roman alphabet. And in order to get the pronunciation, there are four different accents that are used over the vowels. Unlike English, Chinese is a tonal language. The same word has different meanings if you pronounce it on the up beat than if you pronounce it on the down beat."

That sounds like the language could be the biggest challenge.

Harris: "No question. They have also encouraged the players to learn more English. I don't know if they're providing any lessons in training camp or not, but the camp [started on March 17] and I have three assistant coach who will initiate the practices there.

"My associate head coach Jonas Kazlauskas, an experienced international coach from Lithuania, will do that. And I have two younger Chinese assistants, who are coaches in the Chinese Basketball Association, the pro league there. Jonas has been here in Dallas for the last two-and-a-half weeks. We've gone over some things that he'll work with for the next several weeks until we're finished with the NBA season."

When do you join the team?

Harris: "I join the team a few days after we're finished playing."

What are the biggest challenges on the court for the Chinese team?

Harris: "Guard play. We have a lot of big guys. The Chinese Sports ministry has had a focus on big people. They've tended to look at kids when they are 12 years old and direct them into basketball. As a result, we have a whole lot of players who are 6-10 to 7-5 that are pretty decent players.

"We don't have many in the 6-foot to 6-3 range by comparison. And the ones we do have need work on their ball skills. They're good catch and shoot players, but they haven't been trained on the art of penetration and learning how to make plays off the dribble successfully and have that mid-range scoring game as well. That's the first thing Jonas will be working on over there is the development of the individual skills of our perimeter players.

"We just hope that by the middle of August that we've impacted that area enough that we can be competitive because it won't make a lot of difference. We could have three Yao Ming's and we'd still be in trouble if we don't have the complement at the guard position."

What is the process for selecting your roster?

Harris: "The roster is not set. We basically have a pool of 20 ballplayers who have played successfully in the CBA there. I will select 12 for our final team. I will have some help choosing, but I will get the players that I want out of what we have.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Wang hoping to return to China

What are your expectations for the team?

Harris: "They finished 12th in the World Games in Indianapolis. The first step is to improve upon that.

"The long-range goal for the Chinese team is to be a serious competitor for a medal in 2008. We are loading the team to the younger element this year. If there's a choice of keeping a player of the same skill level and one is four or five years younger, the younger player will get the nod.

"Now, having said that, we want to win. It just has to be one step at a time. We're in a tough pool. If we can win a game, we want to get into the top eight. If we win there, we want to get into the top four. It needs to be a step-by-step process. It's the same process I've followed all my life in coaching."

作者:安普若海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
中国企业国际化系列:联想购IBM 掩护下的资金撤离 (转贴) 海归论坛 2004-12-10 周五, 04:52
美国股市系列:Facebook与高盛的交易引起SEC关注(转帖) 海归商务 2011-1-06 周四, 08:05
旅游娱乐业:上海经济连锁酒店隐现困局(转贴) 海归主坛 2007-5-21 周一, 09:23
中国股市系列:全球股市暴跌风源不在上海 (转贴) 海归论坛 2007-3-12 周一, 22:32
矿泉水行业:2005年无醇饮料市场趋势分析 (转贴) 海归论坛 2006-9-28 周四, 08:44
网路游戏业:史玉柱“征途”初赢 月进账4463万 (转贴) 海归论坛 2006-6-16 周五, 14:52
ZT. 18位英国公民投诉:“史上最无耻”丁字裤广告海报(组图) 海归酒吧 2006-1-05 周四, 22:48
网络游戏业:9170万美金,盛大买来了什么? (转贴) 海归论坛 2004-12-11 周六, 17:37

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 安普若离线  发送站内短信 发送电子邮件 浏览发表者的主页 QQ号码什么是QQ号码? MSN
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.